Practicing My Craft
With all of the craziness that you have seen me blog about these past couple of weeks, I'm sure you are probably expecting an interesting blog I can. I have bad news to tell you. Nothing interesting has happened to me this past week. At least nothing exciting enough for me to share on this blog.
This isn't to say that I've just been sitting around in my dorm room for the past week, being bored to death. I have been extremely busy with school work and keeping up with my jobs. In fact, it's been a little bit overwhelming to keep track of everything. I've been trying to relax and have some down time so that I don't completely overwhelm myself with stress. I guess one piece of good news is that I recently learned that I only need to take 15 credit hours next semester. I have been doing 19 credit hours pretty much every semester here, so it'll be nice to just be able to relax and enjoy my final semester at Ohio Northern. Besides, I am probably going to be working a lot so having that extra time will be really nice to have.
As I briefly mentioned in the last blog, I have been able to spend a little bit more time working on Northern review articles. Well, to clarify, I have not had more time. I have been giving myself more time and putting other things aside. That's besides the point. That being said, I am really enjoying this new perspective I have into journalism into the work that I am creating. For example, with photography, I am doing it with a much more journalistic perspective. I am still taking photos for sports information and I'm trying to look at ordinary moments in a more interesting light. I'm trying to capture the feeling of the moment in the photos I take. Take a look at this photo I got at a volleyball game against Otterbein University:
ONU Coach Sophie Windover huddles her team during a timeout, one point shy of winning a set against Otterbein (Sports Information Photo/Evelyn Megery)
Please note that I am not a professional photojournalist andI could have totally missed the mark on this picture. The reason I like it so much is because there is such an interesting story that it tells. In this moment, we see the team surrounding their coach in a time out, exhausted and tired. They are looking at her for guidance. In the background, you can clearly see the scoreboard, which indicates that Ohio Northern is one point away from winning the set. This adds tension to the image. I made the photo black and white to make these emotions stand out more.
I could be totally off on my reasoning for liking this photo, and I am fine with that. The most important thing for me is to keep my eyes open for unique, artistic moments that tell a complex story to the viewer. Every time I pick up the camera I take photos, I am practicing my craft.
As a side note, Ohio Northern did win this set.
That's all I have for this week, and I look forward to chatting with you all again.
See you next time,
Evie
Photography and all art is such an open concept to me! I really enjoy the fact that everyone can look at this picture and have a different definition to it. You are so talented at what you do and I hope you continue!
ReplyDeleteI love the thought you put into the moment of the photo you captured. I think it is so cool that you want to keep challenging yourself, specifically in photography. I believe that all photographers should and want to do the same!
ReplyDeleteEvie, I love this! That volleyball photo is amazing and you can really feel the tension and focus of the team. I think it’s so cool that you’re slowing down and noticing these little moments while still juggling everything else. Can’t wait to see what you capture next!
ReplyDeleteI am very fond of your passion for photography. I also have an admiration for photography, and other things like video editing. I'm glad to see you succeed in something you care about!
ReplyDelete