A Whirlwind Weekend



Noah Langford (#3) scoring a point for Ohio Northern’s basketball team (Sports Information Photo/Evelyn Megery)

This past Saturday, I was scheduled to take photos at the men’s basketball game, women’s basketball game and a wrestling tournament taking place later in the evening. The events started in the early afternoon and ended late in the evening, so I knew I would be heading into a long day of work.

To help pass the time, I met up with one of my friends, Anna Kate, from Anna Kate Creates. She is getting into photography herself, so she came along to practice indoor sports photography. It was fun chatting with her throughout the day and keeping the energy high no matter how tired we got. 

And believe me, we got tired. 

Being a photographer is not as simple as it looks. The art of photography goes beyond clicking a button and making edits on a computer. It goes beyond standing in a room and getting a photo. From intricate camera settings to understanding lighting, a photographer has to learn how to use complex technology to capture a high-quality picture that tells a unique story. 

You’d be surprised to know that out of the 700+ photos I usually take per game, only about 30 of them are of good enough quality to edit and publish, and that’s being generous. Oftentimes, the picture turns out slightly too blurry, someone gets in the way of the intended subject, or the photo simply turns out awkward. Photography is a constant game of testing out angles and different settings so you can get the perfect shot – even if those perfect shots are few and far between. 

Clicking through hundreds of photos that didn’t turn out good can often be disheartening. You spend hours upon hours taking these photos, and you had hoped more would turn out decent. Over time, though, you come to terms with this disappointment and realize that it is just a part of the artistic process. The hours of capturing and editing photos are all worth it for those few, priceless final images you get at the end. 

While only the women’s team was victorious on Saturday, I was thrilled to get back into photography. There weren’t too many opportunities to take photos professionally during Winter Break, so it was nice to finally get back into the groove and use the athletic department’s great equipment. 

While it was a whirlwind of a day, I was so grateful for the opportunity to spend my weekend doing what I love. Every time I take photos at sporting events, I am improving my photography skills to get one step closer to being the level of photographer I aspire to be. 

See you next time, 

Evie

A collage of pictures of Ohio Northern University's home events January 25, 2025 (Sports Information Photo/Evelyn Megery)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practicing My Craft

Thanksgiving Break Festivities

A Quick Weekend Trip