How I Started My Professional Photography Journey

After three weeks of blogging about photography, I realized that I never actually told you how I started my photography journey at Ohio Northern University. While I’ve grown up going on photoshoots with my siblings and being the designated photographer on family vacations, I never did “official” photography work until I came to ONU. 

When I started ELM Photography last spring, I could not have imagined it having such a great impact on me. What started out as a few simple photoshoots with friends quickly transformed into a freelancing business where people I’d never spoken to on campus were reaching out to hire me. To further diversify my portfolio, I even attended sports events and would post those photos on social media too.

It was after posting the sports photos that I got an ominous message from Ohio Northern’s sports Instagram. I received a DM asking to know who I was and whether I was getting paid for my photos. Afraid that I was getting in trouble, I nervously responded back to clarify that I was only an ONU student looking to build my portfolio.

As it turned out, the Sports Information department was in need of another photographer, and they liked the work I was posting on my Instagram. Before I knew it, I was offered a job! I was overjoyed that my hard work had paid off and I got a job doing what I love for my university.

The following fall, my position as a Sports Information photographer was official, and I was scheduled to take photos at a variety of sporting events, such as soccer and volleyball. A part of me was nervous because I wasn’t used to the pressure of taking “good” photos. If the photos didn’t turn out well in the past, I simply wouldn’t post them. But now that I was hired for my photos, suddenly I was worried that my photos would turn out horrible and my supervisors would be frustrated with me. The stakes were high, but that didn’t deter me from following my goals. 

I will admit that mistakes were made and not every photoshoot turned out the best. Rather than letting those disappointments stop me, I have acknowledged my mistakes and asked for help. I learned so much in the past year of being a photographer, and I am looking forward to the many years to come. 

See you next time, 

Evie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practicing My Craft

Thanksgiving Break Festivities

A Quick Weekend Trip