Is Facebook still relevant to the modern marketplace?

As a member of Generation Z, I can confidently say that very few people our age use Facebook, or even check it very frequently. In most cases, we have an account because we needed it for some specific purpose or we already created a Meta account through Instagram. So if you were to ask us what apps we primarily use to connect with others, there is a good chance that Facebook would not be on anyone's list.

With that being said, I wonder if Facebook is still a worthwhile platform for businesses to invest their marketing budget in. This thought has entered my mind often as a student who is interested in pursuing a career in marketing in the future. I want to avoid wasting time and money on marketing projects, so I need to analyze whether or not Facebook is worth a company’s efforts. 

I think that marketing on Facebook is determined by the target demographic of your company. For example, if your biggest clientele is Generation Z, then you should probably avoid creating advertisements on Facebook because the chances of them attracting an audience is slim. If your goal is to catch the attention of millennials, however, then Facebook might be a great opportunity for you to grow your brand. According to The Essentials of Social Media Marketing textbook by Stukent, the largest age group of Facebook users is individuals between the ages of 25 and 34. Knowing that statistic could help companies redirect their target Facebook audience to millennials so that they can increase their return on investment (ROI) and build a stronger marketing plan. 

In the end, I would say that Facebook is an odd platform to market in because their demographic is not really “growing” anymore, for I doubt Generation Z will start using it in the near future. That being said, marketers must acknowledge the limited population that uses that app and adapt their content to that demographic. To answer the question I posed earlier, I would say that yes, Facebook is still relevant to the marketplace. Just because the younger generations do not use the app does not mean the rest of the generations don’t. I just think that it is important for companies to realize that they will not be capturing the attention of anyone from our generation on that app. 

See you next time, 

Evie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practicing My Craft

Thanksgiving Break Festivities

A Quick Weekend Trip