Lessons Learned as a Photographer (Part Two)
Well readers, I didn’t really plan on making this a series. The more I thought about what I’ve learned in the past year, the more I liked the idea of sharing them with you! I find it very therapeutic to reflect on my journey and consider the ways photography has impacted my life. So buckle up as we dive into another photography lesson!
One of the most important lessons that I could have learned from this entire experience is that imposter syndrome is real and very easy to fall into.
As a budding photographer, it is way easier to put yourself down than it is to build yourself up. No matter how talented you are, it is easy to feel discouraged by seeing the social media of other skilled photographers, thinking that your work isn’t as good as theirs or that you will never be as successful as they are.
I often fall into the habit of scrolling through social media and checking out the profiles of other local photographers. Most of these individuals have accomplished photography businesses and have a gorgeous portfolio to click through. There is no way I can compare with that level of talent! Suddenly, I feel like my own photography is pale in comparison to theirs, and I start to rethink why I ever started freelancing in the first place.
Do I even belong in the photography industry?
Here is the hard truth — the other photographers you see online are probably very skilled and have a lot of followers for a good reason. However, they likely have years of experience and have spent a lot of time and energy focusing on their marketing and social media presence. Not only are we novices, but likely full-time students! Those photographers are simply not a fair comparison at this point in your career. The good news is that it does not mean you can’t aspire for that level of success in the future. You can use your time as a novice to make mistakes and figure out what works best for you and your brand.
All in all, let this blog post be a reminder that your art is beautiful, no matter what it is. Whether you’ve been pursuing your passion for five weeks or fifty years, you have a vision that no one else could possibly possess. I urge you to run past your fears and continue creating your art without letting the judgement of others get in your way.
See you next time,
Evie
| A graduation photoshoot I went on with friends in Spring 2024 |
Hi Evie, I feel like everyone goes through these feelings of doubt in any field they choose to pursue. With social media, it's hard not to feel like you're not doing enough or you're not where you should be because this person has already accomplished this much in their lives. But, I think you've said it perfectly; everyone has their own vision that cannot be replicated. Making reasonable goals for yourself in order to get yourself further in your career is always a good first step. Good luck in all your photography endeavors!
ReplyDelete