Lessons Learned as a Photographer
With nearly one year of professional photography experience, I have definitely made some mistakes and learned a few lessons on the way. There have been many ups and downs during this time, but I have made some realizations that I would like to share with you.
One of the greatest lessons that I have learned during the past year of freelancing is that you don’t have to post every-thing on social media. This was something that I constantly struggled with and still do today. Let me elaborate.
Personally, I think of Instagram as my digital portfolio. It is a place where my photography is on display for the world and has the possibility of being shared by members of the community. In fact, most of my clients have reached out to me through that platform, so it is a great place to generate leads and showcase my skill set. That being said, I only want my best photographs to be posted because they represent my quality of work. Not all of the photos I take will be amazing–that is a reality I need to be aware of. As disappointed as it may be, that’s just the way art works. You embrace the imperfections and move on.
As a beginning photographer, it is easy to fall into the trap of wanting to make a post for every photoshoot you go on because you either want to build up your social media or you feel that you “owe” it to your subject to post their session. While those may seem like good reasons to post photos, the most important thing to consider is that your portfolio is the face of your business. It is okay to learn from past photoshoots without feeling obligated to post them. There are plenty of sporting events that I attended and never posted simply because I did not find them noteworthy enough for the internet.
I would like to note that it is also normal to go back and archive old photoshoots that, looking back, were not too great. Perhaps your editing style has changed or you have experienced growth in your photography skills. If there are posts that no longer represent the current quality of your work, go ahead and remove them. You should be proud of the journey you have made while also taking steps to enhance your digital portfolio.
I hope that this little piece of advice helps you in your own journey. Let me know if you would like to hear some more freelancing advice!
See you next time,
Evie
Comments
Post a Comment