A Reflection on Greek Sing

After weeks of preparation and anticipation, it is finally Greek Week! For those of you who may not know, I am a member of the Zeta Sigma chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta, a social sorority on campus. Theta is dedicated to the values of leadership, scholarship, service, personal excellence and sisterhood, and our philanthropy is Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), which supports children in the foster care system. Greek Week is one of the most celebrated days in the Greek community and it is something that we prepare for weeks in advance.

The first event during Greek week is Greek Sing. This event takes place on Monday evening. It is where all ten sorority and fraternity chapters prepare a seven minute singing and dance routine based on their Greek Week theme. This year, every chapter represents a particular style of music, and Theta’s theme is country.

Preparing your performance is more than just picking out your music and styling outfits together. The entire process spans over the course of several weeks. Based on the timing of Easter and spring break, the amount of time that the chapters had to prepare was shorter than years past, so there was a lot of stress that the chapter members were feeling in the weeks leading up to Greek Sing. 

Finally, after weeks of hard work, it was time to give our performance. I actually sang and danced in the performance, which is something that is completely out of my typical comfort zone. They needed somebody to sing, and I figured that I only live once, so I should try something new while I'm here at Ohio Northern. I practiced my song over and over again with my singing partner, and it was a good thing I did because the moment I stepped out in front of the crowd, I completely relied on muscle memory to get me through the song. I felt like I had messed up so many times during the song with both the singing and the dancing parts, but when I went back and actually watched the video, I realized that you really can't tell where I messed up (which was a huge relief). That definitely gave me a piece of mind because I was really stressed for the rest of the event. 

All in all, I had an amazing time at Greek Sing. Not only is it fun to watch all of the other sororities and fraternities perform, but it is a great way for me to get closer with all of my sorority sisters and get out of my comfort zone in front of half the campus. If you'll be on campus next year, I highly recommend that you attend the event.

See you next time,

Evie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practicing My Craft

Thanksgiving Break Festivities

A Quick Weekend Trip