A Farewell Blog
Hi everyone!
As some of you might know, I started this blog about five months ago as a part of my Principles of Social Media class for a social media minor I am pursuing. We were instructed to make two blog posts a week and comment on our peers’ blogs too. With it being our final week of class, I wanted to share that I will most likely be taking a break from blogging on here for a while. With two summer classes and a full-time internship this summer, I am not sure I will have the time to be posting here consistently.
Posting on a blog definitely has its ups and downs, as I have learned in the past 15 weeks. It is not as easy as you might think. One thing that was a challenge for me was reaching the word count requirement for every post. While there is no “official” length a blog needs to be, it is highly recommended that a blog should be 400-600 words so that it is not too long or too short for the readers. Even though I am a writer and talker, I found it surprisingly difficult to find enough things to say to reach that word count. Perhaps my life is not interesting enough for me to find enough things to say, or maybe I am not that creative. I think one of the main reasons I struggled with word count was because I do not like posting things about myself online, and I felt like these blog posts wanted me to reveal more about myself to the internet that I wasn’t completely comfortable with.
Another challenge that I faced was posting on consistent days and times. As a full time college student working multiple jobs, I found it difficult to write my blogs in advance and have the posts spread out throughout the week. Since the blogs were due for class on Thursdays at noon, I typically didn’t write my blogs until Wednesday night or Thursday morning. This type of posting schedule is not ideal for typical blogs. Under normal circumstances, I would have wanted my posts to be several days apart and also at a consistent and optimal time—not midnight.
While writing all of these blogs was a challenge throughout the semester, I feel I am able to look back and appreciate all the lessons I have learned. Blogs are a great way to share your thoughts and connect with a community, and I enjoyed trying something new for the past few months.
See you sometime,
Evie
Comments
Post a Comment