A Reflection on Stukent’s Simternship

Finally! After 14 long weeks of refining my social media skills, I have finally finished my digital marketing internship, or Simternship, from Stukent. 

For those of you who may not be familiar with the Simternship, it is an online simulation that makes you, the user, a marketing manager for a company. You are given a series of tasks that prompt you to strengthen your social media skills and learn how to make more effective posts. Some tasks include picking time-relevant images, creating optimized captions, negotiating with social media influencers, and having targeted advertisements. The Simternship challenges everything you thought you knew about the social media landscape, compelling you to do your research and learn the best posting practices. 

One of the main motivating factors of the Simternship is that you can see your rank in comparison to your classmates at the end of each round. Even though their names are anonymous, I still find myself determined to get a high score. Our grade was also reliant on the rank we got, so I guess that is another reason why I wanted to do so well! Even though I didn’t do as well as I had hoped on some of the rounds, I feel as though I was able to learn from my mistakes to keep doing better.

Interestingly enough, I actually did this exact same simulation in high school. My junior year, I was in the Marketing and Business Career Technical Education program and this was one of our assignments. It was even the same fake company that we were designing social media posts for. It was fun to be able to get a second chance at this simulation 3 years later and apply my new knowledge and skills. I have learned a lot about the social media landscape since high school, and it was fun to be able to get a second shot at the Stukent Simternship. Furthermore, I am also interested in seeing how the information taught to us aligns with real world social media practices. Do the same strategies apply? 

Overall, I am grateful for the opportunity to try something new that helped me learn more about the social media landscape. I can’t wait to see everything else that I will learn as I pursue my social media minor. 

See you next time, 

Evie

Comments

  1. Evie, that's so funny that you've already done this simulation and I'm glad you were able to apply the knowledge you now have to it and do better than before. I also wasn't as happy with my ranking, but I definitely learned a lot from this experience. I also can't believe it's been 14 weeks already! It feels like we just started this simternship.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Practicing My Craft

Thanksgiving Break Festivities

A Quick Weekend Trip