Recruitment Week is Here!
I cannot believe it is already sorority recruitment week! This is arguably one of the most exciting times for sororities because we get to meet all the new members of our chapters. This week will be long and exhausting for everyone, but it will all be worth it once we get to celebrate on Bid Day!
All of this recruitment talk has made me reflect on my own Greek life journey. My Greek life story isn’t the most traditional. In fact, I did not join my chapter until the spring of my freshman year. I am not going to lie, I never intended to join Greek life during my time at Ohio Northern. Truth be told, I did not think that an introvert like me could ever fit into a sorority.
Despite my hesitation, I knew the moment I walked through the doors of my chapter’s house that I was meant to join a sorority. There was so much joy and excitement in everyone when they approached me, and that made me feel so welcome. There is no such thing as being too crazy or cracking too many jokes. We’re all a bit goofy, to put it mildly, and that is what makes our sisterhood so strong. We are a family, and all families are a bit crazy in their own unique way.
Our big/little reveal is one of my most precious memories because my big and I became instant friends the moment we met. As an introvert, I was hesitant to take those steps to meet new people, but there is a special sort of bond between you and your big that makes you instantly click. Because of my big, I always have someone I can turn to in a time of need and she is always there to hang out with when I need someone to talk to. That little freshman two years ago would not be able to fathom where I am now.
It is crazy to see how much things change in just a few years. I am now heading into my last year of college, and it is hitting me that this will be my last time experiencing these things. It will be my last bid day, so I know I need to make it an amazing one.
If there is any piece of advice I would give to a PNM, I would tell them to be themselves and trust the process. The recruitment process is long and stressful, but you will end up where you are meant to be in the end. Do not try to be someone you are not because ultimately, that will do you more harm than good. The recruiters in each chapter are looking for authenticity, so just be you! Besides, joining a sorority is about forming close bonds with your sisters, so starting off as authentic as possible is the best way to go. Ultimately, as long as you stay true to who you are, you will find the right people.
I wish everyone the best as the recruitment rounds begin — the RGs, the recruiters, and the PNMs. It will be Bid Day before you know it!
See you next time,
Evie
I totally understand on feeling that as a introvert too. I believe that no matter what Greek Organization you are in at Northern it is such a special community.
ReplyDeleteLove this, Evie! It is so fun seeing recruitment through your perspective and hearing about your journey. You are going to make this last bid day so special. Could not agree more about being authentic, that is truly the best advice for PNMs!
ReplyDelete