It's Busy Season!

 


Hey everyone! I hope your week has been going well because I know mine has been pretty crazy. I feel like there is so much to do and such little time to do it! Not only do I have long-term projects to be working on, but many little things are due along the way. This semester has been putting my time management skills to the test, and I am trying my best to stay afloat!

Now you may be wondering what has been keeping me so busy. Honestly, a lot of things are! One of those things is my capstone project, which I will not go into detail about since that was my blog last week. Another thing that has taken quite a bit of time is my extracurricular activities, namely Northern Review.

I haven’t been able to do as much with Northern Review as I normally would this semester due to time constraints, but I will occasionally pick up a story every once in a while because I enjoy it. I wrote a sports article most recently, and that went differently than I thought. I am not very familiar with most sports, so I would normally add my photos to an article and write a brief paragraph about how the game went. However, I felt that this was not an effective form of writing, and I did not feel as proud of my work. This year, I am trying something new. I am creating a new sports column in Northern Review titled Home Game Hits.

The Home Game Hits column allows me to share my photography while also creating a meaningful article. Rather than creating individual articles just for photos, this column gets posted once a month and includes the top highlights and photos from the past month. Check out September’s article for an example of what the column is supposed to look like. 

The article went way more in-depth than the editors and I expected. I was supposed to briefly mention the top sports highlights and add a slideshow of my photos. Once I started writing, I thought it would be much more meaningful if the article told a story about each team. Since I attended most of the sporting events, I thought it would be nice to share a story about the most memorable moments from each sport. In the end, the article ended up being around 750 words, which is a decent length for Northern Review. I spent a significant amount of time making sure the wording was perfect and gave emotion to the story rather than simply explaining what happened. 

The column has been my most recent column in the school newspaper, and I try to write articles when I can. All in all, this has been a rigorous semester with school and I am doing my best to do quality work without falling behind. Thank you for following along on my journey thus far!

See you next time, 

Evie

Comments

  1. I love how you were able to take something that you were not so familiar and comfortable with and create it into something that is! I believe that this is what makes any article meaningful and not just a dull news story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Practicing My Craft

Thanksgiving Break Festivities

A Quick Weekend Trip