Traveling to Washington D.C.
What’s up everyone? I am so happy to be back on campus and returning to my normal routine. It has been a crazy few weeks of travel, so I am ready for a sense of normalcy again.
For those of you who are not in the loop, I spent last weekend camping with my family near Pennsylvania. You can read my previous blog post for more information about that. Right after I returned to campus, I went right to Washington D.C. for a conference. It was a lot of traveling within one week, but it was really cool to spend time with family and explore the nation’s capital. Besides, I needed a break from my classes.
Let me elaborate on the trip some more. I traveled with the staff of Northern Review to Washington D.C. for the annual MediaFest Conference hosted by the Associated Collegiate Press, College Media Association, and Society of Professional Journalists. There is a lot you can do at the conference, such as attend a mini trade show, receive awards, get critiques on your publications, attend presentations, give presentations, and network with other journalism professionals.
The Northern Review staff was proud to take home 13 awards, including a national Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker honorable mention for former editor Arin Wade’s Rite Aid article, which is a huge accomplishment for Northern Review. The typical awards we receive are broken down by division, while Pacemakers consider every school equally, regardless of size. It was impressive to see Arin’s article make it so far amongst some of the biggest schools in the country. Furthermore, Northern Review’s advisor Dr. Shane Tilton was recognized as a Distinguished Advisor from the College Media Association. We were so happy our advisor got the recognition he deserved for his constant dedication to our journalism program.
One of my favorite parts of the conference is learning from the other schools that attend and getting inspiration from them. While I wasn't able to visit many of the breakout sessions this year, I was able to take a look at all of the different print copies and photos that other schools and news organizations were able to produce. Also, two of the keynote speakers were photojournalists, so I was able to learn from a lot of the work that they shared with us. Seeing how their journalism not only impacted the student body but their own learning process makes me really excited to get back into journalism here at Ohio Northern University.
I want to be able to take pictures that tell a story and leave an impact on the viewer. I want to be able to tell stories that are meaningful to the community. While I have not had much time for journalism this semester because of a heavy course load, I still want to carry the lessons I've learned with me through all of my school work and continue to develop my skills as I do more journalism next semester.
See you next time,
Evie
Comments
Post a Comment