Another Weekly Update

Thank you for checking out my blog again! I do not have many updates for you, and nothing really interesting has happened this past week.

I guess one thing that I can mention is that I held my documentary screening yesterday. For my capstone project, I am focusing on the value of local journalism in rural communities. I have found throughout my research that this is a very under-studied area, so I am reaching out to various local media platforms in Ada, Bluffton and Findlay to see what their perspectives are. All of my research will be placed in an article for Northern Review so everyone in the community can read it. I also made a mini-documentary to include in the article that is a vignette of Northern Review. I spoke with the editor's advisor and even some of the newest staff members to hear what their perspectives are on journalism at a small university.

While this may already sound like a full workload, I also have to do a capstone enhancement as a part of the Honors Program. This enhancement is usually an additional project or set of work that you do that takes your project one step further. After speaking with my advisor, I came to the conclusion that I would be doing a screening of my documentary. Organizing a screening is not as simple as it looks. It takes a lot of planning and also requires quite a bit of permission. I had to create posters, reserve the room, get permission to hang the posters, create flyers to give out, develop Q&A prompts, create a welcome screen,  promote on social media, write a promotional article for Northern review, and develop a timeline and script.

There was a lot of work that went into the back end of this project, and I am so relieved that it is finally complete. The documentary is officially done, and the screening has already taken place. I feel like I am one step closer to finishing my capstone project and concluding the semester. This project might be a lot of work, but I feel like I am learning so much about the journalism community and why it is so important. I can't wait to see where else this project leads as I continue to work on it in the upcoming weeks.

See you next time, 

Evie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practicing My Craft

Thanksgiving Break Festivities

A Quick Weekend Trip